Thursday, 10 October 2019

2019 Prudential London 100; Sue Bellamy's story


Prudential London 100

Sue Bellamy

What a day August 4 was!
Having not slept for 2 nights before the Ride London I got to Stratford on the Sunday
morning at 6 am.  I needed to be in my ‘pen’ by 7am for an 8.04 start.  The atmosphere really got me in the mood for the ride. Everyone was chatting and the weather was good which was a relief after last year’s rain and wind.  They say there are no real hills for 40 miles, though Sayers Hill in Richmond Park, for example, is not flat; when I came out of the park a friend replenished my water and food supplies.

I got through the first cut-off point at Hampton Court without a problem and off we went to the Surrey Hills, where we started to get held up with accidents and the sheer volume of cyclists. More time to eat and chat!  I was not going to do Leith Hill as I was worried about descending with hundreds of other cyclists but when I got to Abinger I decided to go for it as I felt comfortable.  It was definitely the right decision.  When we rejoined the A25 lots of
cyclists were already on that road; they had been diverted due to an accident.  Some were pushing their bikes up Box Hill but the crowd helped me do this challenge. I had several friends and parents of babies I had cared for cheering me along and there were some patients from a residential home enjoying their day out, especially when we waved back.

Sue Bellamy in the Surrey Hills that day

I was delighted to finish in 8 hours.  Coming over the finishing line along The Mall was quite emotional, as last year at this time I had only just being diagnosed with cancer. By the time the letter arrived saying I had a ballot place for 2019 treatment was complete.  It was a memorable day but I certainly won’t be doing the full 100 miles again; maybe just the 46 next year! I put a lot of time into training for this day which really helped.

No comments: